Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friend

....Holy Spirit help, that is!
 
  Once upon a time a long, long time ago, I told you about the state of our basement. A normal person would just go in and clean that mess up.  I gave a whack at normalcy but would ultimately get frustrated, overwhelmed and an irresistible craving for cookie dough ice cream.

 My Dad has been renting a storage building for furniture from a home he is currently renting out. He called to say he was tired of paying the rent on the storage and could he bring the furniture here?
  So I said, "Let me get this straight. You want to bring all your crap to add to all my crap? What is this, a crap house?  Sure. Bring it. Give me a date." I prayed for the end of the month. Initially, he said next weekend but my Dad being the ultimate task master (Why did I not get that gene???)  moved up the date by like 4 days!!

Nothing like a deadline- and a Daddy- to get a girl motivated. Until of course, I saw this.





And this......




How does this even happen? It looks like the Incredible Hulk moved us in.



I whispered a prayer. seriously. I prayed nearly the whole time I cleaned. And He was right there talking me through it.
And that became this.




And this
All of those boxes under the table are photos, scrapbooks and albums. Argh. This task is shelved but NOT finished! Thank you, Lord, for digital.



All the stuff under the table above is curriculum.

I took the doors off of some of the cabinets because we've moved them so many times, it is pretty much impossible to attach them again. I re purposed a few of them as a vain attempt to add a pop of color in this space artwork. See if you can find them in the other pics.


This is all my craft stuff and I mean a ton of it! I've got every thing from wooden eggs to scented play doh  packed in this space.


Coordinating containers and a label maker would help the aesthetics but for now it is not meant to be.

Look how many pens and pencils I found! I must have spent 45 minutes trying out pens to see which worked and  I'm sure I tossed at least this many.
Maybe I should do a random act of kindness and pass them around to the local store clerks who are always complaining that someone stole their pen. Then again, maybe that someone was me...




Behind curtain #2 (yes, it's a shower curtain. I'm on a deadline here, people.)

Children's books; arranged according to historical, historical literature, literature, science, fun reads etc.
Behind door number 3 are games kind of randomly thrown in. I knew there was no point in organizing them until I round up all the other games in the house. Yes. We have 2 Scrabbles. I have no idea why.
But I do feel a craft project coming on with one of them....
I still have short term plans for this room.
Did I mention that this is only one of the 4 disaster rooms?
Umm. yeah. And I have 24 hrs. to get the rest done before our arrival of more stuff. 
whoopee...

The good news is, apparently I'm getting paid by the hour because look at all this change I found.

So let's compare the before and afters...





                                          
                    

I took a little time to thank my Helper...


No comments:

Post a Comment